Lincolnway East

The Lincolnway East local historic district was designated by ordinance in 1984. It has been certified as eligible to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places as it was once part of Route 20, the coast-to-coast Lincoln Highway. The street was once known as Vistula Avenue, but when the Lincoln Highway was established the name was changed to Lincolnway East.

The property within the district was originally owned by Christian Holler, a pioneer of German Township, Holler purchased the land in 1829 from the U.S. Land Office in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He sold it in 1835 to fellow pioneers, Samuel and Mary Leer. The Leer's hewn-log cabin remained on the property until as late as 1907. In 1870, Samuel and Mary's children partitioned the land, and several disputes arose from this inheritance.

In 1886 and again in 1888, Jacob Leer subdivided the land along old Vistula Road leaving the land south of the railroad clear for agriculture. The area was further subdivided in 1907 and 1923.

The first house built after the subdivision was likely that of Catherine C. Wenger, the widow of Martin Wenger. It was a frame Queen Anne residence located at 1164 Lincolway East and built 1890. Catherine and Martin were pioneers who homesteaded directly to the west of the Leer property. Several other Queen Anne homes with carriage houses, and Arts and Crafts residences are also a part of the district.

After 1895 this area developed rapidly, probably due to its favorable location on the Saint Joseph River, and its ready access to the South Bend and Mishawaka streetcar line, established in 1882 on Vistula Avenue. In 1915, Vistula became part of the Lincoln Highway, as noted earlier.

In the early years, the neighborhood became home primarily to upper and middle-class families. The 1910 Federal Census listed eighteen residences. 

Building Types & Styles

A majority of the residences in the district were built between 1890 and 1925 and consist of a mix of vernacular American Foursquares and Gable and Ells, and widely popular Victorian Queen Annes and Arts and Crafts bungalows. Ernest Young designed 1228 Lincolnway East, an Arts and Crafts bungalow. Most of the structures in the district lie across from the river, with the highway between them and the river. Two commercial structures are located in the district though several residences are now offices: A frame store building: the Post Grocery Company (c1905) at 1414 & 1416 Leer St. and a greenhouse, the Riverside Floral Company, at 1324 Lincolnway (demolished in 1991).