- Jury Duty
JURY NOTICE: COVID-19 RESPONSE
* We are hopeful that citizens who are healthy and able to serve as jurors will continue to uphold their responsibility to report for jury duty. *
Potential jurors who are feeling sick or who are in higher risk categories of severe illness should contact the Jury Clerk to reschedule jury service.
People at higher risk include:
- People aged 65 years and older
- People who live in a nursing home or long-term care facility
- People of all ages with underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, including:
- People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
- People who have serious heart conditions
- People who are immunocompromised. Many conditions can cause a person to be immunocompromised, including cancer treatment, smoking, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications.
- People with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher)
- People with diabetes
- People with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis
- People with liver disease
If you are in any of these higher risk groups, or if you are experiencing symptoms such as fever, please contact the Jury Clerk to reschedule your jury service.
* Prospective jurors otherwise eligible to serve may be excused from jury service for extreme hardship. *
- A prospective juror may be excused if he/she:
- Cares for a minor child, or a sick, aged, or infirm dependent, and have no alternative care available without suffering severe financial hardship.
- Will suffer an extreme financial burden if required to serve that would substantially prevent the prospective juror from paying his/her necessary daily living expenses.
- Any other reason deemed sufficient by the court for a period of time the court deems necessary.
- To request to be excused on the basis of extreme financial hardship, you must contact the court bailiff by either telephone or email. Please refer to your Summons for Jury Duty to find which judge summoned you for jury service. A bailiff's telephone number will be listed. You can also find a complete list of bailiff contact information online.
* We take the health and safety of our jurors very seriously. *
Exemption or Deferral from Jury Duty
View any reasons that one may be excused or exempt from jury duty.
Federal Court Jury Summons
Access the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana federal juror website.
View the rights allowed for jurors.
Jury Duty FAQs
View helpful answers to frequently asked questions regarding jury duty.
Local Jury Rules (PDF)
View the local jury rules for St. Joseph county.
State Jury Rules
Access the State of Indiana's rules for jury duty.